Sunday, June 28, 2009

saturday and sunday

Usually the sun doesn't fight for dominance over the grey overcast skies until at least 11 am or noon.  Therefore my "sleeping beauty-like" slumberings are justified and I can have a long, leisurely morning without any regrets of missing out on a "beautiful" day.  I know that at some point I should also appreciate the cold, windy, grey mornings for all they have to offer.  But two words: summer and well, SUMMER! 
However these last two days, the cold mornings have been non existent, instead the sun starts shining bright and early.  Even the night skies have been cloudless and star-studded.  The result??  Surprising heat throughout the day! And of course it was the perfect weekend for plenty 0f tourists to flock to the wharf and beach.  Saturday morning the trails were already crawling with people.  There was an out-rigger boat race competition on "my" beach, an arts and crafts faire in the central plaza, and I did an "on the spot" Zumba demo with a friend of mine at a Health and Wellness fair.  Continuing to enjoy the day's unusual weather, Romica and I hit up the ever-famous (although I knew nothing about it, nor thought i would even like it) Monterey Blues Festival- conveniently located a combined half mile walk and event shuttle stop away from my apartment.  I met Romica a couple months ago when she began coming to my classroom to teach my students ballroom dancing.  She is charismatic, outgoing and the students loved her.  We had talked about joining forces and going dancing, she promised she'd teach me more than the basics that the students learned.  As it so happened, she was the friend I ran into earlier at the wellness fair...turns out she is a zumba instructor as well and was really pumped that i could do a demo dance along with her!! 
It also turns out that i enjoy blues music!! The festival drew TONS of people, not your average Salinas/Monterey folk, so definitely some followers from farther away...many bay area folk, actually.  The music was lively and some of the audience members even more so.  Plenty of dancing up in front of the different stages.  My favorite was a swing/big boogie style band and Romica taught me some west coast swing dance steps.  We also joined in on a big group Electric slide during one song.  
Sunday it was time to enjoy the heat on the sand, near the waves.  The thing i love and hate about monterey is the breeze.  Its always blowing... but today, I loved it because it kept the otherwise very warm day, at a good temperature.  I was able to enjoy my book, my music and some people watching.  The beach was swarming with people and dogs, however by walking down about half a mile, i can always find a clear piece of sand that gives me some quiet and peaceful space.   While I worked on a tan, dont worry, this time i had lathered myself in sun screen, I noticed that it was just this bay that was enjoying the beautiful sun rays.  Up towards Santa Cruz and down towards PG and Big Sur, were shrouded in fog.  I got lucky today.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rani, what a cool week-end. Full of music, sun, beach and dancing. Great description. I could picture it all.
    IMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rani,

    That's great that you like the blues!

    Monterey used to have a famous jazz festival, too. I don't know if that is still going on.

    I'm jealous of your fantastic walking and photo opportunities!

    Love,
    - abba

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaah.....what a lovely vision, being on the beach relaxing!!!
    Good for you to take pleasure in it! This hometown appears to suit you well!
    Love you,
    Auntie Leza

    ReplyDelete