Thursday, August 30, 2012

Traveling to Tokyo- a balance of pitfalls and successes

Traveling always stresses me out. The night before leaving for Tokyo, I decided not to dwell on the worries, because I didn't know what to expect for sure and if I started worrying too much, it would consume me. As it turned out, what I thought would be easy turned into major problems, and where I thought I would struggle, turned out to flow very smoothly. So here is the run down...
 1. PITFALL- when picking up my boarding pass in SFO, the lady at the ticket counter asked me where my Japan visa was. I looked at her strangely. I had been told by my program that I wouldn't need a visa until I started working. Her argument was that since my return plane ticket had me staying in the country for 9 months I would need a visa right away. Tourists visiting Japan for 90 days or less, can do so without a visa. She was able to check me and my bags to LA, but I would have to deal with the visa problem later. Fine!
 2. PITFALL- My SFO-LA flight was continuing on to Toronto Canada, and only a few of us got off in LA. When I went down to baggage claim, only one of my suitcases was there! After hassling with the claims counter, they took down my information and sent me on my way so I could make my next flight (so the bag is probably on its way to Toronto).
 3. SUCCESS- The Korean ticket counter had no problem issuing me a boarding pass! Hurray! I was going to make it to Tokyo! (Well, at least to the airport in Narita, right?)
4. PITFALL- Serious turbulence during our 10.5 hour flight to Tokyo makes me queasy, overheated, and to my dismay, as we start to descend, I throw up- repeatedly!
 5. SUCCESS- No problem getting money from the ATM
 6. SUCCESS- No problem informing Korean Air (in Tokyo) about my lost bag- they will send it to my Tokyo apartment!
 7. SUCCESS- Mobile phone rental! (and its been tested, and it works!)
 8. SUCCESS- purchasing a PASMO- the train/metro card!
 9. SUCCESS- racing onto the CORRECT train and getting assurance from another passenger that yes, this train was going to stop at the transfer point I wanted!
 10. SUCCESS- transferring trains...flawlessly, I might add
 11. SUCCESS- calling a teacher at my program who was going to give me directions to the apartment from the train station, but in fact decided to pick me up - even better! He is from Singapore! (so I referenced hawker stalls!) and his English was flawless!
 12. Moving into my new apartment (stay tuned for photos!)
 That is why worrying would have gotten me nowhere. Because really, I would have worried about the things that turned out to be the easiest!!

4 comments:

  1. Bitter-sweet traveling.....aahhhh, you have arrived and settling in. Looking forward to your next blog and photos! Enjoy this adventure! Love you!
    Auntie Leza

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. love the new background. Very Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom told me about the scare about the visa at the Oakland airport. But I'm so proud of you for that and all the rest! Wow, you're really in Japan.
    Love,Lex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rani....
    You have been in our Prayers. You did just great and so did the Lord!!! You are in his care. You are a lot braver than I would have been. What an adventure!! Please keep us up to date. I'm sure everything will all fall into place. We love you so!!

    All Are Love
    Dzeda and Baboo


    Love Baboo & Dzeda

    ReplyDelete