Sunday, September 29, 2013

September Sights...

This month was a bit too much of the daily grind- and everyday living...not much excitement in terms of being 'blog-worthy.' So, I've been extra quiet on my blog this month. But looking back through my photo album for the month, a few gems stand out and I can give a quick recap of the month's happenings.
First of all, I decided to extend my work contract through June of 2014. It makes the most sense for me, for reasons that I don't need to bore you with. But also I'm not quite ready to leave Japan, and I need time to think about my big future plans, and that is better done if I am still working, rather than roaming and unemployed!
So, I will be home for two weeks in November to visit and catch up with you!

This month I exercised, spent lots of time with close friends, taught Zumba classes, took more responsibilities on at work, and did a few local day excursions.

The beach-lined coast is about an hour's train ride from my apartment, and I headed out there to explore a small island- of course with its food shops, restaurants, and signature temple. It also had a rocky coastline that was perfect for self-timer photos :)




And a view of Fuji-San in the distance...

My apartment friends have become just as obsessed with Zumba as I am, and so every 4-5 days we all meet in the fitness room for a sweaty hour of dancing fun! This cartoon was drawn by one apartment friend for the magazine he contributes articles to.
 Another apartment friend is taking classes at a design school- specifically in traditional kimono fitting- with a modern fashion twist. He's preparing for a competition, so he was trying out a more avant-garde hair style (think Elizabethan era, or Maleficent!). The kimono is traditional wedding wear...

Climbing Takao-San-this time with two awesome co-workers. Lisa (in red) a former high school English teacher from LA area, and Lisa (in purple) a wacky lady from London who lived in Hong Kong and Beijing teaching English. Here we are, enjoying a smooth tasting local Sake at the top!

My apartment mates organized a football day! I could only join them for the Japanese League game in the evening- Yokohama (my city) in blue, red and white vs. Osaka, in pink and blue. The teams tied at 1-1. The drumming section for both teams was raucous and I started chanting along with them as the cheers repeated over and over again!

Another photo shoot- working with Naoya (on the left) and Yuma (on the right). Naoya is the moody 10-year-old who drags his heels when completing most tasks, but as soon as you start talking about geography and bring out an i-pad to do research, he perks up- a bit!
Yuma is five now and a fluent reader- 3rd grade level! She loves being girly and is into fairy stories, and she enjoys playing "school" where she is the teacher to a group of stuffed animals. 



3 comments:

  1. Wow, some great photos!! That hairdo is frightening, though. You're right, you definitely look like an evil queen. I love the cartoon. That's you in the red right? The artist did a great job. And even if you aren't named how cool that a drawing of you is going into a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lexi- i guess i should post the whole article too. he interviewed me about my life and asked all kinds of random questions and then wrote up an article to go with the comic

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo reminds me of something Abba would have taken in Danmark--the sky/clouds/sunset and limited color pallet. In the small thumbnail, I also thought you were a larger-than-life statue erected at the edge of the ocean. Very majestic

    ReplyDelete