Monday, October 14, 2013

Lunch Date

To my left is my student, Tsuneko, and to my right, her husband.
One of my favorite students surprised me with an invitation to have lunch with her and her family. We chatted about logistics in our most recently class session- she carefully wrote out directions and then explained them to me: which train station to get off at, which bus number to take, and then which stop to get off at too. Then I was to call her and she would pick me up. I also asked about the family. I would be meeting her husband, Takuso, her son, Takeshi, his wife, Yumiko and their kids, (her grandchildren), Kazusa (boy, 7) and Tamami (girl, 4).

We planned the lunch date for Monday, the 14th- a holiday for everyone. At the train station, I found a fancy cake topped with exotic fruits. All the travel pieces worked out smoothly. Right at noon, I was in Tsuneko-san's car with her and her granddaughter on our way to her house. She lives in a really lovely neighborhood, she has a two-story house, with a front garden, which she enjoyed showing me. Inside was a large entryway, living room and dining room. We all sat down for a multi-course meal that kept on going! Tsuneko-san outdid her self and continued to bring dish after dish. It was all delicious! The conversation ebbed and flowed, haltingly at times. My Japanese is next to zero, but I am getting better and better at guessing and interpreting ideas by stringing together individual words that I understand. All the adults' English levels were about elementary and rusty, at best, but we did our best and enjoyed each other's company. Later on they brought out photo albums to show me and we were able to talk about topics like: family, jobs, holidays, travel... Kazusa worked on a craft project during lunch, and gave me one of his paper cutting creations.
Lunch included: potato salad, cabbage salad, persimmon with cream cheese and prosciutto, stewed beef wrapped in cabbage leaves, lasagna, and yakitori (fried chicken skewers). Itadakimasu! *bon apetit.

Dessert included coffee, freshly sliced pear, the cake I brought, and jello/pudding topped with azuki beans and pineapple.

We all took a walk around the neighborhood, and then Tsuneko-san dropped me back off at the train station.


We are standing in front of their house. 



2 comments:

  1. Wow Rani, what a special and lovely visit you had. They look so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rani!! I always love reading your blog - and now, for you, it is probably feels like a homework assignment - but we sure love hearing about your life there! I'm so delighted you'll be here for Thanksgiving!! It will be like old times. We may need some Zumba to work up an appetite for dessert!

    ReplyDelete