Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Snowboarding!!

What would you do on a Wednesday you don't work??? Go snowboarding, of course!!!

Less than two hours from Tokyo, by shinkansen bullet train, I headed off early this morning with 4 apartment friends for a last hurrah of winter and a day on the slopes. The package deal for a total of $130 got me: round trip train ticket, lift ticket, equipment rental, and gear rental (ski pants, jacket, gloves). The guys I went with were happy to spend some hours in the morning basically teaching me how to snow board. Although I am no expert, I was able to progress quickly and excitedly tried out the new moves on my own.

The day was gorgeous- even a bit too warm at first. It did start to rain during the last hour, but we pushed through and I had endless amounts of energy (thanks Crossfit) to keep going and hang with the group (for the most part).


I was first taught how to scoot down the mountain by digging the back edge of my board into the mountainside and facing straight down the hill. Then I began to lean side to side and therefore zig-zag down the mountain. Finally I was able to turn my board straight and cut a wide 'S' shape- nice and slow.

3 comments:

  1. Sooo Japanese, to be able to ride the Shinkansen directly to the resort! What a great outing!

    - abba

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful mountains in view. What a lovely place to snowboard! Good for you to learn and enjoy a new sport all in the same day.
    -love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job, Rani! You had to go all the way to Japan, rather than, Idaho, to learn how to snowboard...haha! So proud of you! And, truly amazing view of the mountain tops!!
    love you,
    Auntie leza~

    ReplyDelete