Friday, July 11, 2014

Cycling through Vietnam- the Southern Mekong Delta

What part of my 3-week South-East Asia trip worried me the most? Getting from the airport to the hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. Since our flights were coming in at different times, Mom and I planned to meet at the hotel. I freaked myself out by reading travel blogs and talking to people who had traveled to HCMC before: purse snatching, being ripped off, fake taxis, over-charging... None of which happened to me. I decided to exchange money in Tokyo- so I had Vietnamese Dong when I arrived. I found a legitimate taxi stand and pre-paid for a ride to my hotel and received a receipt which I showed my driver and he whisked me away through the throngs of motorcycle traffic of the city. 

Mom and I met up, no problem and set off to find dinner. I ignored the cockroach I saw scuttle across the counter, and went ahead- throwing caution to the wind, and drank the beer with ice that was served us. 
Throughout our time in Vietnam, neither of us got sick and I almost never had a meal I didn't like. The food was that delicious!! 

Mom and I arrived 2 days early, for some city site-seeing, which turned out perfectly. We had a chance to take a day tour out to see the Cu Chi tunnels- an extensive network of underground tunnels used by the Viet Cong during the "American" War. Armed with booby traps, secret entrances, and a complex set of underground rooms- a complete living space, the US troops didn't stand a chance! We even got to experience a torrential rainstorm during our tour- a blatant example of the struggles of jungle warfare. 
Cu Chi Tunnel demonstration 
HCMC was a throng of motorists! When it rained, people pulled over, put on their rain ponchos and continued on. Usually solo and double riders, there were plenty of occasions where we saw 4 and 5 people squeezed on one bike.

Our tour started on a Monday. This is Vu, our lead guide. 27. Great sense of humor. Well versed in our trails and route! Khon was the second leader- he always rode in back. We also had 2 drivers- one for our gear, and the other drove the van. When we took rest breaks- every hour or so, the vans were there with a snack set up and the drivers were handing out cold towels and drinks. The service and support was incredible.

Mom is testing out her bike as we get set up to start the trip.

In addition to our 2 drivers, and 2 Vietnamese guides, we were a group of 11- all from the US. From left to right:
Jennifer, early 50s, spin instructor from NY.
Ryan, 28, teach for america from New Orleans
Devin, 34, aviation engineer from San Diego
Mandy, 35, dating Devin, medical sales
Stephanie, 28, dating Ryan, also teach for america from New Orleans
Me
Karen, 52, stock trader from Texas
Lisa, 52, elementary school principal from Texas
Mom
Amy, 21 just graduated from UCSB
Mardo, 23, dating Amy, working for Wells Fargo.
The Gang at the start...
 The route- through big cities, tiny towns, rice fields, jungles, paved and unpaved roads, plenty of pot holes :) Sometimes the paths were no wider than 1 meter- and still we had motorist passing us- in both directions!
City riding

Jungle riding 

Rice fields on both sides

The floating fruit and veggie markets. Each boat posts the fruit or veg it sells on a mast to indicate its wares. 

We had 4 days of riding in Vietnam. Staying a 3 different places after HCMC. See the river delta below HCMC? We meandered around that, crossing it several times by different sized ferries, and then took a speed boat at the border to cross into Cambodia.



3 comments:

  1. Great post, Rani! Sounds like a terrific adventure trip.

    - abba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow rani, thanks for the detailed post! I love all the photos, and can picture the excitement and the heat and the fun (and a little bit the fear -cockaroaches etc.)

    ReplyDelete