Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Easy Rider- 500km by motorbike


 I decided to take "adventurous" to the next level- I hired a motorcycle driver and went on a 3-day/2-night excursion through the central highlands of Vietnam. Calling themselves "Easy-Riders" there were plenty of random guys on the roadside offering this service. I used Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor recommendations and met Trong. We emailed back and forth, and then met for coffee to discuss travel details and prices. He quoted me a price of $210- which included accommodation for 2 nights, water refills, plenty of stops along the way for sight-seeing, and his fees. This was the opportunity to get off the beaten path and see the local Vietnam. Not your typical tour experience. Then I spent no more than $10 a day on food- all meals, iced coffees, fresh fruit and a few desserts here and there. Totally worth it to me!

My backpack was strapped to the back of Trong's bike, and I got to sit in a cushy chair that was raised above- giving me a great view of everything. No way would I have wanted to navigate a motorbike on my own- not through these windy roads and insane traffic conditions. Even with his trusty knowledge and navigation skills, there were still moments of panic when a massive truck, coming the other way tried to pass another one- and seemed to be coming head on towards us!! Overall, I could not wipe the silly grin off my face to think that I was actually experiencing this!

Trong took me into people's houses- its just a kind of thing you do here! We walked right in, he would share a cigarette with one of the men and I would observe their daily life. These women (in the photo above) are making brooms.

A typical ferry crossing- motorbikes, pedestrians and cattle- of course!


Different regions in Vietnam are known for their local specialties! Here it is Mi Quang- definitely my favorite meal! Thick rice noodles, in a small amount of tasty broth with chunks of marinated pork, a hard-boiled egg, and then on top you add a variety of fresh greens and herbs and shaved banana flowers and then crumble a crispy rice cracker on top. Squeeze some lime and chili if you need the kick! Heavenly delicious

Trong took me to several local villages, where the people live like you would imagine people lived 250 years ago! Everything they grow and raise will be used some how- for shelter, food, or decoration. They eagerly invited me in, and we shared some green pineapple together! They speak a different oral language- but must also learn some Vietnamese. Translated by Trong, they wanted to know: how old I was, (shocked that I was thirty). Was I married, (flabbergasted that I wasn't). Turns out, most girls here are married by 15! That means by their standards, I should be a grandma!


Trong recommended buying some hard candies, and the children followed me around eager for the treat.












We traveled along the famous Ho Chi Minh trail- originally small footpaths through Central/Northern Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, these were built into a road system and very important as a supply route during the "America" war.  


This village was once located on the hillside, but damaged by torrential rains, the government moved them to this valley. I walked through the village and they were building their community center. Typical finger pointing ensued- I'd point fingers at me too- a tall, white foreigner randomly walking through your village...they even took out their cell phones and snapped a few pictures of me too!


Local spirits- just a whiff of this alcohol seems to make you drunk! (So strong!)

Jackfruit! Super delicious and sweet.

Collecting rubber from a rubber tree...

Fishermen- they take their boats out at dusk and cast their nets, sleep in their boats until early morning when they bring their nets in, and sell their fish. Throughout the day they work on improvements to their nets and boats, and then head off again at night.

The mountain pass that connects the city of Hue to the city of Danang.

From the top of the pass, looking down you can see the city of Danang below.

4 comments:

  1. Are there snakes in those jars of spirits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Rani, I just now saw this post!
    Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! Great adventure. Uncle Steven and I toasted with the snake spirits while we were in China..very strong!

    ReplyDelete