Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Monday on Mount Mitake

Northwest of Tokyo, slightly remote and tedious to reach was a satisfying hike! When Mom and Dans visited in January, they discovered Mount Mitake- the hiking trails and the beautiful shrine on top! Everyone else I've talked to, has never heard of it!

The train ride took just under two hours and at the last transfer, the train was only 4-cars long!
The station was quite remote. (Thanks to my friend, Beth, I have the appropriate Japanese hiker wear-the striped woolen tights!)



Being stubborn, I did not want to take a bus up the hill to the cable-car station, instead I discovered a lovely river and a 15% grade road that I had to follow on foot for 50 minutes!



 The cable car felt nearly vertical is it ascended even more.

From there, I still had to climb up winding paths and many stairs to reach the shrine.



Other secrets of this mountain included a secluded waterfall, a babbling stream with stone stepping paths and plenty of silence- therefore, more time for my self-timer photos :)




3 comments:

  1. Great outing. It was a long ride out of town but worth it. Great pix.
    -Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the height of that spiral leg on the last photo - Olympic skater quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It appears it was rewarding at the end of your trek. Fun tights!
    Love you!
    Auntie Leza

    ReplyDelete