Thursday, October 11, 2012

Kyoto: Day 1

Since work is all settled, I start on Monday the 15th with a week of training, and my apartment hunting was complete (I move in tomorrow), I had about a week free- so, why not do some sight-seeing! I took the Shinkansen (just about 2 hours) to Kyoto and spent 4 nights there seeing the sights in and around Kyoto and two other cities nearby- Nara and Arashiyama.  I had an incredible time!! So, since I took over 500 photos, the posts will have to come in installments, so that I can share both what I learned as well as what I saw.

The night before leaving, I drew myself a map from the train station to the ryokan (guest house) where I would be staying.   I had already booked a Kyoto day tour and had a general idea of what I wanted to do on each of the subsequent days.  I carried the following essentials:
1. I had withdrawn plenty of cash- Japan is definitely a cash heavy society,
2. Lonely Planet Guide book (becoming well used)
3. some clothes (living essentials)
4. my kindle- currently reading: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, with Memoirs of a Geisha in line 2nd.
5. My japanese phrase book (helpful)
6. Tangerines and apples for snacking (although Japanese convenient stores are on every corner and opened 24/7)
7. My camera!! (like I said, I took over 500 photos!)
8. An alarm clock - Getting up and out early every day helped to beat the crowds, it also meant crashing early too!
After packing up a day pack on Sunday, I headed off in the light drizzle- its definitely the start of autumn here.  The weather is significantly cooler, and a hint of color is beginning to show through.  I took the local metro to the main Tokyo station where I caught the bullet train (shinkansen) to Kyoto.  I oriented myself at the major hub of the Kyoto train station.  First I had to find the meeting place of my day tour for Monday which was at a hotel near the train station.  I found it easily.  Next was to find my Ryokan, where I would be staying for the next 4 nights.  Since Monday was a holiday, many ryokan were already booked, so after much internet searching I finally found one that said they could have me stay all 4 nights, with their confirmation of "see you 10/7." My hand-drawn map indicated following the main road past several main streets (luckily the street signs were also in English).  Across a bridge over the main canal, and then on a small side street past the McDonalds on the corner.  I am always shocked with myself when I find these locations, half the time by pure luck!

This was the street of my ryokan- can you see it?





 Here it is!


The door was open, but nobody was there!! I waited around for about an hour, until 4:15, and still no one.  (check in had said 3:00pm).  I decided to meander about and come back at around 5:30ish.  I picked up some lunch from the convenient store (around the corner, of course) and headed down to the canal to enjoy the sunshine and my book.
Mom, I thought you'd appreciate the funny signage (more to come!)


When I did return to the ryokan, the lady asked for my reservation number.  I had nothing to offer her, all I had received was an email saying "see you here." Clearly, lost in translation, she and I attempted to speak to eachother- me with my 10 words in Japanese, and her with her 10 words in English.  I basically understood that she did not have a room for me tonight, but would have a room for the next 3 nights.  Luckily, she was nice enough to put me up for the night- in the storage room on the roof! She only charged me 1/2 price for that one.  I decided to take that, since I had no idea where else to look and it was very likely everything else was totally booked, or I would be paying significantly more money for something else! 

Although it smelled slightly of cigarette smoke, I had my own room with access to the shower (also on the roof) and the whole 4 nights only came to 15,100 yen (aprox. $190 US).  I did move rooms after the first night, that part of the story will come in "day 2."

With a place to stay finally settled, it was about 6:30, so I headed out again to do some walking about, and perhaps find some dinner.  The big canal was a good landmark (only 2 short blocks from where I was staying).  So I walked north along it enjoying the crowds of people.

The canal




Turns out this was the main road through Gion, Geisha central (more to share about that one too!)


Just 2 min. from my ryokan, I found an Indian restaurant that served the biggest nan bread ever- and just for me!! After my dinner, the waiter served me a hot chai too! Totally comfort food!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see more about your trip. How nice it was that that lady let you sleep in the storage room. Not sure how she communicated that one until she brought you up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the first night, I left your UCLA backpack in the storage room. When I came back from touring the next day and was ready to switch rooms, it was gone! A different guy was at the front desk, just as little English ability. So I looked up the words for blue backpack "aoy bakupaku" and eventually found it in my new private room! The rest of the nights ran very smoothly

      Delete
  2. Ha ha -sleeping in the storage room. And can so picture how wonderful it must be to be at an indian restaurant by yourself and not have to share the naan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lex, so much so that I went there two nights during my stay in Kyoto- was even debating about going back for a third, but decided I should broaden my horizons a bit

      Delete