Friday, October 12, 2012

Kyoto: Day 5- Arashiyama


Before I left on my 1pm shinkansen ride back to Tokyo, I decided to squeeze in one quick visit to the town of Arashiyama.  One of the top 30 things to do in Japan in my guide book mentioned a bamboo forest located in Arashiyama.  It looked incredible, so I jumped on the train and was in the town in about 15 minutes.  I saw 3 amazing sites in this town.

1. A monkey reserve!!
2. A beautiful zen garden
3. The bamboo forest

After paying my entrance fee, I made the 20 minute hike up the mountain- about 165 meters up! At the top was a station that studied the monkeys and also allowed visitors to feed them.  They are wild, so we were behind bars! I was the only visitor at the time.

I will post the answers in a comment...

Mom, Dans and Lex, thought you'd appreciate this sign!

Ready for a snack...


I got to feed them apples!

Momma and nursing baby, grandma was nearby and got angry when I came too close!

Views of Arashiyama, and you can even see Kyoto from here too!


My next stop was the gardens of a Buddhist temple: the photos say it all.  And even though it was crowded in there, the garden paths can quickly lead you to a quiet place.





Here is the bamboo forest!  It was so quiet in there!




3 comments:

  1. Answers to the Monkey quiz:
    1. The type of Monkey is Macaque
    2. They prefer to eat cicadas
    3. The monkeys fear all 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bamboo forest looks soooo coool and magical. Wow. I've never seen/been in something like that. Arashiyama looks totally worth it!

    I got 2/3 on the monkey quiz (missed #3). Macaque is the same type of monkey that live on the Rock of Gibraltar at the Southern tip of Spain (but owned by Great Britain). So I could recognize the monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to see if I could translate that monkey park sign.

    Osaru dake ja nai monkey park. Tokai ni inai tori ya shika mo sagashitemiyou.

    I know basically no kanji, so I had to look it up to even find out that you pronounce those characters "tokai." The only part I don't understand is what "tokai ni inai" means. Without that, it would be something like, "Monkey Park's not just monkeys. Let's look for birds and deer too!" I found someone's blog entry where they talk about a better translation of that sign. Turns out "tokai ni inai" means something like "which aren't in the city." That seems a little unnecessary...!
    http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3589

    After Kara no Kyoukai, I'll never see bamboo forests the same way again.

    ReplyDelete