Thursday, September 20, 2012

Course Exam

I've got my course exam today.  Just wanted to share with you some of the things that I will be tested on.

1. IPA (international phonetic alphabet)
-reading it
-writing it


2. Articulation:
We need to be able to explain how each consonant sound in the English language is formed in the mouth (between the teeth, by the lips, at the back of the throat...) and how that sound is expressed (air released through the nose, forced out...)

3. Verb tenses:
We focused on 13 verb tenses and need to know their correct forms and the meaning behind each usage
-simple present, past progressive, future perfect...

4. Word classes:
We need to identify all the parts of speech in a sentence: verb, adverb, pronoun, preposition, determiner...

5. Modal verbs:
We need to know how they are used in sentences and what meaning they convey

6. Conditionals:
We learned 4 levels of conditionals and we need to know the meaning behind each level.
(degrees of certainty to hypothetical situations... 
for example: "If I swim everyday, I will be stronger." vs. "I had been born in the 1912, I would have been a soldier in WWII." 

7. Vocabulary:
Explain how you would teach new vocabulary terms to English learners

8. Sentence intonation:
We have learned that English has a very lyrical way of being spoken.  So we need to identify the different rise and fall patterns in our speech when a speaker expresses different types of things: questions like "Where are you from?" have a rise/fall pattern to them whereas questions that ask yes/no like "Do you like cake?" have a fall/rise pattern to them.



Wish me luck!!
Then its only one more week of my course! 
I have some potential job options which I will let you now about soon.

5 comments:

  1. The different levels of conditional remind me of how we learned conditional in Turkish. And I'm excited to hear about the job possibilities.
    love lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to diagraming sentences....does anyone do that any more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will do well! Looking forward to hearing about your opportunities

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW. Most of that stuff I have never learned in English. Although in my Linguistics class at UCLA I do remember some articulation charts to show where the tongue is and what kind of air flow you need to make a certain sound.

    ReplyDelete