Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Work Woes...

Today is my two week anniversary of living in Tokyo.  Maybe its just today, but aside from the fact that I have found some great chocolates, it feels like the honeymoon phase is over.

At first things seemed to flow smoothly.  My classwork seemed doable, I had uploaded my resume and a cover letter on to the Japanese job website and I was starting to send them out to several job postings. Right away I got interviews.  How exciting.  Afterwards, I walked away from both interview experiences with mixed feelings.  On the positive side, I am definitely well qualified to work here.  I have plenty of classroom experience to draw on.  But each job opportunity had its flaws.  One of them wants you follow a very rigorous and structured English language curriculum to support all ages of students in small hour-long weekly sessions.  The other site is only just starting up and is still trying to build a student base!
Then I looked at applying at the large international schools.  They have a very strict hiring process (before the school year begins in August), and did not have any openings at all.  It seemed like I could apply as a substitute, however since I don't have a work visa, I was told that I could not be added to the substitute list.  However, those school settings match up the best with what I am interested in and where my strengths lie!

Then again, it's only been two weeks.  I still have two more weeks of guaranteed housing.  My perfect scenario would be having a job set up before the end of this month so that I could then look for housing in that location.  If that is not possible, I would have to look to something temporary and cheap and decide how much longer I want to pursue what is out there, before returning to California...or taking a go of it somewhere else!

Maybe this whole "teaching abroad" thing needs to be postponed until next academic school year?

2 comments:

  1. Don't get discouraged. If I learned one thing about living and working abroad is that some days you hit dead ends every where you look and it seems impossible to make any progress. Then suddenly and without warning things line up and doors open and you are ushered through and there is no logic or sense. Remember things always take a little longer when your in a foriegn country and you have less control. Sit back and enjoy a little, worst case scenario you come home in two weeks....

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the flip side of Daniela's comment....it's okay to come home with pride, if it does not work out. You went and gave it a try, this is awesome of you!!!

    ReplyDelete