Monday, September 3, 2012

Course work - Day 1

I had no idea what to expect when class started today.

Back-tracking a bit... when I originally signed up for the TEFL program, Teaching English as a Foreign Language (a month long intensive training course) I corresponded with the main instructor via email.  At the time, no one else had signed up for the September course.  At one point I received correspondence from him, and noticed that he had also sent out the email to 2 other people.  Okay, so now there were 3 of us.  When deciding about housing, I had the option to live on site.  Larry, the instructor in charge, owns a 3-story house in the Northeastern part of Tokyo.  I will share photos of the home and its strangeness soon.  He lives on the ground floor.  On the second floor is a kitchen and a large living room, that is set up as the TEFL classroom.  There are then three bedrooms on the third floor (one of them is mine for the month).  I arrived at the house on Thursday and lived there on my own until Saturday, when a bedraggled older guy arrived at around 9pm from the airport.  After letting him in and exchanging a quick hello, I never really saw him again the rest of the weekend.  I was out all day Sunday, and never saw Larry arrive.

So, when I woke up Monday morning, I had no idea what to expect! When I headed down to the kitchen/classroom (on level 2), both Larry and the other instructor, Dave, were setting up! That's a good sign! Class was really going to get started today.  They are both in their mid-50s.  Both have been living on the West coast (Seattle and California respectively) part time and in Japan part time for the last 20 and 30 years respectively.  Both are married to Japanese women and their children are bilingual (English- Japanese).  Larry teaches English at a high school as well as at a women's university.  Dave headed out to the train station to pick up the rest of the students- as it turned out, there would be a total of 9 of us in the course!! Most of them are living off-site and commuting by train.

What a diverse group of people.  Zara is from Whales, Marlene is from the Philippines, Ayumi is from Japan, Kostas is from Greece, Chris is from the UK, Sebastian is from Sweden, Joseph, Neil and I are from the US.

The course content feels like my credential work.  The course load and pace and interaction with students and teachers feels like college level.  And, boy am I rusty! It feels like I haven't taken notes and reviewed theorists and had group discussions in forever! We even got homework, essays to write and lessons to present, as well as a final exam! Its going to be good though.

When class ended at 3:30, the commuters headed off.  I "commuted" up to my bedroom, changed into my running clothes, and headed out for a great run- passed Mizumoto park and off towards the riverbank where I had biked on Saturday.  It had rained earlier in the day, so even though it wasn't quite as hot and the wind was blowing, I still sweat buckets!

My main struggle that has already shown up is food.  Well, at least eating a balanced and healthy diet.  I am perfectly happy with fruits and veggies and tofu and noodles and rice- but I am missing some key calcium items and I am not interested in any of the pre-packaged "deli items" that they sell at convenient stores! So, when I went off to the store that afternoon I knew I had to diversify my shopping.  Plus, I needed to have lunches ready for the week! (Missing the simplicity of Trader Joe's).  I did find: yogurt and what I think is soy milk (there are at least soy beans on the container), and cereal.  My lunch plan is salads- made with with rice, mung bean sprouts, tofu, cucumber cheese and tomato.  Lex, Dans, Mom- any brilliant suggestions for throwing together a "pre-made lunch"?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely think the grains salad with chopped veggies and tofu is one of your best bets. Put in some sort of nut or seed for some healthy fats and minerals. If they have lentils, you could mix in those too.

    Then, cut up a fruit for a side dish, and maybe cookies for dessert.

    What about eggs? Those are pretty quick and simple, and you could make egg salad, or hard-boiled egg, or egg-tortilla

    And maybe, slowly try out a snack item that doesn't look too dangerous... I'm thinking something along the lines of mixed nuts. You liked Moruku Fine in Singapore, right? I bet they have stuff like that.

    And I'm glad your course started and it seems serious. With all the diverse students, it should be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to school how exciting! Easy and good lunches are crucial. My two suggestions are either do really simple no think lunch like I did in chile (a roll of bread, a yogurt, an apple, a banana and a piece of chocolate). I never had to prepare anything just throw it in a bag with a spoon. My other suggestion is whenever you make dinner make it for two and put half in a Tupperware, eat the rest for dinner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting to have such a diverse group! Rani, when you cook rice, cook enough that you can throw together with leftover veggies, add eggs, soy sauce and stir fry. You can also look up Rice Balls with a small piece of cooked salmon or plum in the center. These balls are the size of your fist, Google for recipe. I will ask one of the gals on Mitchell's Travel baseball team, she is from Japan and is vegetarian . I Loved her Rice Balls!!! Uncle Steve and Mitchell love Rice Cakes, leftover rice, add to some whisked eggs and ladle onto frying pan like pancake batter, cook. Peel cucumbers length wise and roll veggies in it (instead of Nori) Cucumber Rolls. I will research more for you. I agree with Dani, cook double amount during dinner. Love you!

    ReplyDelete